Extension of stay

When you first come to Canada as a visitor, you use one of these documents to enter:

  • A visitor visa (also called a temporary resident visa)
  • An electronic travel authorization (eTA)
  • A valid passport or travel document

If you want to extend your stay in Canada as a visitor (stay in Canada longer), you need to apply for a visitor record. A visitor record is not a visa.

A visitor record

  • Is a document that gives you status as a visitor in Canada and allows you to stay longer
  • Includes a new expiry date
  • That’s the new date that you must leave Canada by

When to apply for a visitor record

You must apply for a visitor record before your current status expires.

Become a citizen of




Calgary, AB