The study permit is a document we issue that allows foreign nationals to study at designated learning institutions (DLIs) in Canada. Most foreign nationals need a study permit to study in Canada. Make sure you have all the documents you need before you apply. You should apply before you travel to Canada. When you choose to study in Canada as an international student, you’re making the right choice for the future. Canada is recognized worldwide for our high academic standards – from elementary to secondary, colleges, universities and beyond.
When you apply, you should submit
- A letter of acceptance from a designated learning institution (DLI) you’ll be attending
- If you’re under 18 and coming from outside Canada to study, you must study at a DLI with an approved COVID-19 readiness plan, unless you qualify as a fully vaccinated traveller.
- As many of the documents needed for a complete application as possible
- We won’t be able to finalize your study permit until you’ve submitted a complete application.
- Waiting to submit documents will cause delays in processing.
- A letter of explanation for any documents that are missing due to COVID-19